Lead IT Architecture and Development for FinTech, FX
|Located:||London, United Kingdom|
A lead architect and developer with over 15 years' experience, I love to make software you can absolutely rely on.
I strive for
as simple as possible, yet no simpler, to ensure your project is easy to maintain, easy to adapt and easy to work with. I did this for Travelex, designing and coding the automated, cash processing operations software (
Taxidia) in their London cash center. I pushed hard to first develop a minimal viable version and only start adding features based on real-world user feedback. My leadership resulted in vastly different features than originally planned, and in vast savings of time and money otherwise wasted on unnecessary features. It ended up with half a million lines of C#. I coded over 25% of it – I enjoy doing what it takes to get the job done.
You can rely on my software, and you can rely on me.
|Software Architecture||8 yrs|
|C# / .NET (Core)||8 yrs|
|Database Architecture||9 yrs|
|PostgreSQL, MySQL||12 yrs|
|Linux, OpenBSD||14 yrs|
|Data formats||CSV, JSON, Protocol Buffers, TOML, XML, YAML|
|Databases||Apache CouchDB, Citus, MongoDB, Microsoft Access, NoSQL, Riak, SQL Server, SQLite|
|Libraries/Frameworks||Entity Framework, Prism, Unity|
|Networking||DHCP, DNS, Firewalling, IPv6, Routing, Switching, TCP/IP|
|Protocols||HTTP, REST, SMTP, SOAP, WCF, ZeroMQ|
|Tools||Bash, Bugzilla, Docker, Heroku, Salt Stack, Shell script, Travis CI, VMware, VPS|
|User interface||MVC, MVVM, WPF, WinForms|
|Version control||BitBucket, CVS, Git, GitHub, Mecurial (HG), Subversion, TFS|
|Web development||AngularJS, ASP.NET Core, Bootstrap, CSS, ES6, GHCJS, HTML, Markdown, React, Ruby on Rails|
|Webservers||Apache, Httpd, NGINX|
Senior Developer ID-ware Feb 2018 - Present
ID-ware supports organizations worldwide with effective solutions for identification and authentication processes (IAM). I was brought in to develop the software for a new product for ID-ware's Card Management Platform.
- I designed the product's REST API and standalone application.
- Developed the product's REST API. (ASP.NET Core, C#, REST)
- Developed the product's standalone application. (C# / .NET, MVVM, Prism, REST, Unity, WPF)
CEO, Lead Architect and Developer SRU-Systems B.V. Sep 2015 - Present
SRU-Systems specializes in the creation of reliable software by preventing unnecessary features, replacing error-prone techniques with safer ones, and using strongly-typed languages when possible.
- Designed and developed an on-premises horizontal scalable storage system. (Ansible, Haskell, OpenBSD, PostgreSQL)
- Developed an open-source Protocol Buffers library. (Haskell)
- Developed an open-source Argon2 password hashing library. (Rust)
- Developed an open-source KeePass database library. (Rust)
IT Manager and Lead Architect Global Cash Solutions Jan 2014 - Aug 2016
Global Cash Solutions specialises in cash processing optimization. I led the team responsible for software development and IT infrastructure. During this time our main focus was a custom-built system for Travelex' London cash center – Taxidia – to automate their cash processing operations. Designed to be a game changer in the cash processing industry, Taxidia is the first outbound cash order automation solution that allows for the processing of both loose and strapped banknotes in a single process, both multi- & single currency. Taxidia (Greek for
Travel) is unique to the global cash processing market.
- I designed, purchased and helped deploy the IT infrastructure in London for the Taxidia project. (Ansible, Linux, Windows)
- Helped prepare Taxidia system for production.
- Designed and implemented improvements based on user feedback. (C# / .NET, PostgreSQL, WCF, WPF, ZeroMQ)
- Prepared and executed deployment of new software releases.
- Administered the company's IT infrastructure. (Ansible, OpenBSD)
- Helped troubleshoot technical issues.
Senior Software Architect Global Cash Solutions Jul 2012 - Dec 2013
For the principal UK vault of our client and partner, Travelex, I
- Designed the Taxidia software and database.
- Developed Taxidia's external communication. (C# / .NET, WCF)
- Implemented Taxidia's database schema and stored procedures. (PostgreSQL)
- Developed most of Taxidia's logic layer. (C# / .NET, ZeroMQ)
- Developed parts of Taxidia's user interface. (C# / .NET, MVVM, WPF)
- Administered the company's IT-infrastructure. (CFEngine, OpenBSD)
Software Architect Global Cash Solutions Aug 2010 - Jul 2012
Onboard the software development team, I
- Designed and helped implementing the software for the 4D Dispenser, an automated machine for filling medicine pouches. (C# / .NET, SQL Server, WPF)
- Designed and helped implementing a web based project information system (Linux, MySQL, Ruby on Rails)
- Designed and administered the company's IT-infrastructure. (CFEngine, OpenBSD)
Software Engineer HD Medi R&D Aug 2009 - Aug 2010
HD Medi provides solutions for automating pharmaceutical processes. I worked on several projects:
- I designed and helped build the software for the CCS, a machine for correcting medicine pouches. (C# / .NET, SQL Server, WPF)
- Designed and helped build the software for the WSU, a machine for winding and separating medicine pouches. (C# / .NET, SQL Server, WinForms)
- Designed and built a plugin-based library for loading medicine prescriptions. (C# / .NET)
Software Engineer Axoll Jun 2008 - Aug 2009
Axoll developed automated solutions for the automotive and pharmaceutical industries.
- I designed and built the software for the STS Load Station, a machine for filling trays with special medicine. (SQL Server, VB.NET, WinForms)
- Designed and helped build the Axoll Information System, a tracking system for all our projects. (SQL Server, VB.NET, WinForms)
- Designed and built a web-based driving range application (MySQL, Ruby on Rails)
- Assisted in improving the software for the TIS, a machine for inspecting medicine pouches using image recognition (SQL Server, VB.NET, WinForms)
Senior System Engineer SARA (SURFsara) Jan 2007 - Jun 2008
SARA is an organization founded by the University of Amsterdam for the purpose of supporting scientific research. As Unix and Network Specialist,
- I automated the maintenance of many servers (CFEngine, Linux, Solaris)
- Designed and implemented the new mail infrastructure (Exim, Linux)
- Designed and implemented the new DNS infrastructure (Bind, Linux)
- Acted as my department's IT Security Manager.
System Engineer SARA (SURFsara) Aug 2005 - Dec 2007
As Unix and Network Administrator, I participated in the team responsible for administering servers and network gear:
- I migrated a large number of Solaris servers to Linux.
- Migrated a number of SunScreen firewalls to Cisco PIX firewalls.
- Developed an unattended network-based installation system for Linux.
Part-time Teacher Hogeschool Utrecht Aug 2004 - Jul 2006
Hogeschool Utrecht is a university of applied sciences in the The Netherlands. I worked as a part-time teacher in the Computer Science department.
- I developed and taught the
Introduction to Unix/Linuxclass.
- I developed and taught the
IT Helpdesk Support Mesos Medisch Centrum Jul 2001 - Jun 2004
Mesos Medisch Centrum is a group of hospitals in the Utrecht region. I provided part-time desktop support at their IT helpdesk.
University of Amsterdam Master System & Network Administration, cum laude 2004 - 2005
Hogeschool Utrecht Bachelor Software Engineering 2001 - 2004
Dutch Native proficiency
English Full professional proficiency